Monday, January 24, 2011

Bloggiesta 2011 - Finish Line


OK, I'm a little late with this but I was all worn out from the fiesta yesterday.

Here's the original list with updates
  • Write reviews. Drafted/outline two reviews; completed one for publication this week.
  • Write backup posts for a rainy day. Drafted two thinky posts
  • Write that great post idea from three months back.  See above; also noted some ideas for future and uploaded to google docs.
  • Create template posts for your future reads. This doesn't really work for me since my format is very loose.  I did do one for the Thursday Thirteen posts that includes the header pic and the footer text.  It took me less than 10 minutes.
  • Clean up tags & blogrolls - Blogrolls-DONE; labels not so much
  • Fix the favicon - DONE
  • Work on any specialized projects (Friday Fantasy Feature) - not so much
  • Put out invitations for guest posts for above - Opened up some dialog with fave fantasy bloggers
  • Master the art of the feed reader and blog subscriptions. Researched a bit.  Did not really have any "a-ha" moments.
  • Make business cards (eh, maybe).  Nah.
  • Back up your blog. Nah
  • Participate in some mini-challenges. I read most of the challenge articles but didn't really do the exercises.
  • Learn more about blogging, read great articles, get inspired. Yes!  thanks fellow participants!
  • Make sure you have properly copyrighted your blog and know what to do when somebody reposts your material. Sooo, as near as I can tell from the decidedly non-actual-legal advice I found on the challenge and elsewhere, your own material is copyrighted whether you put the special little symbol in your footer or not; registering with the copyright office (for a fee) may give you more protection. Opting out of that for the moment. 
  • Help other bloggers, answer questions, share your expertise (let’s face it – this is the best part of Bloggiesta!) Yes!  I can't really say "Done" because how can you be "done" with something like that? but I did chip in my 2 cents here and there while I was hopping around.  Good thing there was a challenge for this because I am known for being shy and retiring online.
========================================
Things I did that I didn't expect to:
  • Added social networking buttons to the post footer template.
  • Went down a rabbit hole researching fancy ways to organize labels on the Blogger platform; decided to leave any major re-org for another time, but collected a list of reference links.
  • Discovered a book with associated challenge that sounds interesting (The Heroine's Bookshelf).
  • Thinking about glomming onto the Sunday Salon meme.
  • Updated my "About" page.
 ========================================
So all in all, a very productive weekend.  I managed about 12 hours over two days, perhaps a bit more if you include the bloghopping (loved the participant feed reader!)

Many thanks to Natasha at Maw Books for hosting and organizing; I found the whole event to be a great motivator for those "tune-up" items that are easy to procrastinate on.

    2 comments:

    Sophia (FV) said...

    Oh I'm so envious of all the good stuff that gets done during Bloggiesta. One of these days I'm going to have to participate. Well done Nicola.

    Nicola O. said...

    Thanks FV! My ambitions tend to outstrip my actual accomplishments, but somehow the event nature of it is a motivator!

    Visitors

      © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP